Sunday, January 14, 2007

A wandering

Instead of hitting the tourist spots I thought I'd just go wandering. My intention was to wander around Picadilly and Chelsea. I never made it.

Instead I found the canal that begins/ends right next to my hotel at Edgware Road. I started down the path next to the canal. There are new highrise condos and retail. The canal path took me to Little Venice. Who new that London has a canal area where people live on these really narrow but long boats? Some are commercial - you can go out on canal excursions, there is at least one floating restaurant and even a floating puppet theatre.

I walked quite a ways then back-tracked to go on an adjoining canal to Regent's Park. Saw the 'backyards' of several amazing homes.

I reached Regent's Park and walked to St. Mary's Garden. There are still shrub roses blooming! There are also some flowering trees and shrubs blooming. The daffodils are coming up and there are even some crocus-like flowers (I think they called them Little Bo Peeps) flowering. This is crazy. I think it is early even for England.

It was a beautiful bright sunny day and that seems to bring out EVERYONE. It was a bit cool but pleasant.

I hopped on the tube with the intention of going to Oxford Circus station and SOHO. The BakerLoo line was having troubles so I switched to the Central Line. Oxford Circus has many exits all of which are about 3 feet from each other. Not confusing just a curiosity.

There was a sausage vendor and I had the most incredible need for a brat. Looked good to me and so I got one. I ended up with ketchup all over my hands. Thank goodness there are still public washrooms in London and I was able to get washed up.

I wandered around SOHO for a bit. I'd been walking for a couple of hours and was getting tired. I might end up with thunderous thighs and gargantuan glutes if I keep this up.

I called Mom from inside Carnaby, a shopping/entertainment/eating/drinking area in SOHO at Oxford Circus Underground station, for our usual Sunday chat. I then headed back to the tube and the hotel. I finally saw Marble Arch which I walked to my second night but never saw because I turned the wrong way.

Another 4 hours of walking and standing. A beautiful day with lots of people out and about.