Saturday, January 13, 2007

First day as tourist

Finally got to sleep in. Oh boy, that was nice.


The Russian Winter Festival was today in Trafalgar Square so I decided to use that as my kick-off. Took the underground via BakerLoo line. I entered at Edgware Station. So far that is the first station I've seen that is so deep you can only get to the platform by using a lift/elevator.


Trafalgar Square is enormous. Nelson's Column is the big monument there. The Russian Festival filled up the entire square. I got there in time to see the Gisele Dance Company. They do the tradtional Russina dances with a rather New York City Rockettes flair. Beautiful costumes. The last number is in their blue and white and is where their name comes from -- Russian pottery of the same color and name.


I did get a Russian beer from the drink tent. Nice to not have to be fenced in to one place to drink. You could walk around anywhere in the Festival area with your drink.


I went into the National Gallery and went through a few of the galleries. Yowser but there is a lot there. I'm not big on paintings but I do really like portraits and that was mostly what I saw. I think I'll do this museum in bits. It is quite large and free.


Got a bite to eat at a sandwich place then headed to Buckingham Palace. The flag was flying so does that mean the Queen was in? According to the movie, The Queen, I think that's what it means. No changing of the guard today as it is off-season. Looks like a nice place to live but wouldn't want the heating bill.


I then went through Green Park looking for Prince Charlies place. I got a bit off but I think I found it. There was a Royal guard with the black Q-tip hat on. Neat looking place. I took a picture with my camera phone but it was too blurry.


Headed across St. Jame's Park and on to Westminster. Saw the Clock Tower with Big Ben (the bell). Walked down Whitehall and saw 10 Downing Street and a great view of the London Eye (the big observation wheel). This got me back to Trafalgar Square.


I was pretty beat from the walking and standing.


As promised, here is picture of Harry Potter 9 3/4 Platform.



No comments: