Thursday, January 18, 2007

Transportation

What a day! I was in a foul mood to start with. But I'm not going into that on this entry.

I catch the train to Welwyn Garden City (referred to by the locals as Welly) from King's Cross rail station. I get to King's Cross via the underground which stops at King's Cross/St. Pancrass.

This morning the power was out at King's Cross/St. Pancras so the underground wasn't stopping there. I was already on the underground when I found out. So I hoped off at Euston Road stop and climbed aboard a double-decker bus.

This was my first ride on one of the double-deckers. Turns out I only had to go a few blocks. I had figured it was close but it was raining and the wind was incredible.

I get to the train station and all the lights are out. I'm not sure I'll even make it to Welly. As it turns out my platform, 10a, is open and my train is running. However none of the automatic ticket machines are working. I purchase a ticket from an attendant and board my train.

We had another meeting with the client and we drove over to their office. A very short distance but the drive is not straight AT ALL. I got to leave the meeting early and WALKED back to the IBM office.

End of the day I seem to always cut it close to catch the train back to the city. Today was no different. I ran to the station only to find out the trains aren't running into the city. No explanation. The attendant didn't seem to know and even the announcer said it wasn't known.

So back I go to the street and catch a local cab to go somewhere. I suggested he take me to the closest Underground station. He didn't seem to think that was a good idea so we head into the city.

Traffic in isn't too bad until we get close and then it is just city streets. I see an Underground stop and suggest he just drop me off. We're up to £40 at this point. He thinks that is a good idea because going back is going to be a hassle for him.

Turns out we were pretty close and I was back at the hotel in a bit.

So today I got to ride the Underground, a double-decker bus, the train, a private car and a cab.