Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Credit Card mess

The Visa credit card I use for business travel was caught up in some merchant data theft. So I was issued a replacement card that had to be activated immediately. That was last weekend.

On my way to the airport last Friday I noticed that credit card was missing from my wallet. I got the receipt from the last place I used it, a restaurant, and called the number. No answer. I thought may be they are only open for dinner.

I tried them again when I got back to Minneapolis. Still no answer. I looked up their number on the internet. It was slightly different than the one one on the receipt. Called the new number and still no answer. That left me no alternative but to cancel the card.

A new card won't arrive until sometime this week...while I'm out of town.

Today I tried using my Actors Federal Credit Union Visa and it was denied. I called the number on the back of the card. After holding for nearly 15 minutes I find out that this card was also part of the same merchant theft and has been blocked. I had received a replacement card over the weekend but since I only had a couple of days and thought it was my usual annual replacement card, I didn't have it authorized.

Lesson learned. Activate credit card as soon as open letter.

No comments: