Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Road trip VA - SC

The next big part of the road trip was to my sister Betty's place in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina.

Mom decided to go with me. We had breakfast at IHOP before getting on I-95 at about 10am for the long drive. 

Traffic and construction in Virginia made for very slow going. Once we got passed Richmond it was better. When we stopped to get gas, the Mileage To Empty read 480 miles! That is the best I have ever gotten. Credit the good mileage to the slow going.

Leaving Burke, VA
I missed the Virginia Welcome Center so my collection of Welcome Center photos will not be complete. Darn.
 
 North Carolina plants day lilies and wild flowers in the median and along the Interstate. The colors are wonderful and make the drive more pleasant.
Mom at North Carolina Welcome Center.


South Carolina is very lush this time of year.  The trees and undergrowth have grown up nearly right to the highway.

We stopped for supper at Shoney's in Manning, SC. It was steak night and they were grilling outside the restaurant. It smelled fantastic and tasted just as good.


We arrived at Betty's late. I had hoped to get in before dark but we didn't quite make it. My GPS could not get us to Betty's house. We ended up having to call Betty and have her guide us.

This leg was nearly 540 miles of driving.

1 comment:

GeeCee said...

I'm so glad your mom went along!