Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Luck - both kinds

Bad luck -- I couldn't get an aisle seat on my flight yesterday. I played the waiting game to see if one would free up but it only got worse. By the time I checked in online there were only middle seats. I decided I would use my upgrade points and try for an upgrade.

Good luck -- I was standing in line to talk to the gate agent about getting on the upgrade list when my name magically appeared on the upgrade list. It had gotten busy at all three of the American Airline gates and the gate agent was in and out. When she got back I told her I was wanting to upgrade and that my name had magically appeared on the list. She agreed that American was magic. I got a first class seat.

Bad luck -- I think I actually dozed off while we taxied to the runway because when I opened my eyes, instead of being in the air we were parked along side a Northwest 747 and the repair hanger. A few seconds later the cockpit door opens and the co-pilot walks down the aisle of the plane.
A little later he comes back to the cockpit and the pilot announces that a passenger reported that a wing didn't look right for takeoff and since she and the co-pilot weren't sure what it was supposed to look like, we were heading back to the gate for a maintenance inspection.

Good luck -- Maintenance and the co-pilot checked out the wings and we were given the "all clear" to fly. Having idled and taxied all that time, we had to get the fuel topped off and we were on our way a bit over an hour late.

More good luck -- The pilot made up almost half hour of time in the air...pretty remarkable for a 2 hour flight and we ended up landing only about a half hour later than usual.

The weather in Dallas is beautiful by the way.

No comments: