Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nightmare avoided

I suppose everyone has heard about the problems with American Airlines this week. That is the airline I fly between Minneapolis and Dallas.

My 8:20pm flight tonight (Thursday) from Dallas to Minneapolis was canceled early this morning. I called AA to see what they could do for me. The reservations person said he could put me on the 4pm flight. I happen to know that thr 4pm flight is an MD80 - the aircraft that has been grounded. I asked him if he could guarantee that it wouldn't be canceled. He said no.

I knew there was a Sun Country flight available. He said he couldn't switch me to them because AA doesn't have an agreement with them. He then hung up on me!!!

I called American Express Travel which handles all are travel arrangements. They got me on the AA 12:40pm flight. The AA reservations guy didn't even offer that flight to me. The 12:40pm flight is the only one between MSP and DFW that is not an MD80.

The other side of the story is that the weather in Minneapolis was to get really bad by late evening. This morning the weather folks were calling for 8-10 inches of snow! If I hadn't been able to get on the early afternoon flight, it was going to be a long day.

But I'm home and comfortable. And have to go back to Dallas next week!!!!

No comments: