Sunday, April 27, 2008

First full day in Hyderabad, India

Monday, April 28
I've been in Hyderabad almost a day now. It seems so long ago that I left Minneapolis. The travelling has definitely
taken a toll on my brain and body.

The ride from the airport to the hotel was interesting. The airport just opened 20 days ago. Very modern of glass and steel.
But it is very far out from the city. About 40 kilometers. The hotel provided a pickup which was immensely appreciated.

The traffic wasn't the horrific packed and dangerous cacophony I had expected. Sure there were lots of vehicles and
of every time. Trucks, buses, cars, three wheelers, bikes, ox-drawn carriages and even 2 camels. When I saw the camels
I figured all I needed to see now were elephants. Didn't though.

So incredible images of poverty along the way contrasted with new and modern and expensive looking housing. People living
in handmade tents right next to the street. But also these modern town homes and apartments right near by.

I spent Sunday trying to find my bearings. The hotel is very western. Clean, modern and efficient. It is connected to
a large convention center. A wedding of someone famous or with money was going on. All incoming vehicles were
checked for bombs.

As part of my recuperation I worked out in the well-equipped gym and best of all had a full body massage with foot
reflexology and eye recuperation. It was very very nice to say the least.

I did absolutely no touring and did not venture from the hotel. Today is first day of work.

No comments: