Sunday, June 2, 2013

Outside of Paris - Provins

Yesterday, Saturday, I took a train to Provins. The train departed from Gare de l'Est which is East Station.  The station is a mix of old and new. The iron and glass canopy was marvelous with the sun shining through. I was proud of my French speaking to get the correct ticket from the ticket office.

Gare de l'Est
 A gentleman at a cafe last week gave us a brochure for a train museum in Longueville. I like trains and Longueville is on the way to Provins so I decided it would be a great stop. I guess the guy from the cafe forgot to tell the guys at the museum to expect vistors. Apparently they had no.plans to open it to the public that day or again it looked to me.  I did get a few shots of the derelict train cars outside and this one of a couple of engines inside.

My real destination was Provins, a UNESCO heritage site. Part of the town is preserved/restored to medieval times. I did have a bit of fear that it would be Renaissance Fair like only medieval instead of renaissance. That was there but I avoided it.

Finally got in to my first church/cathedral on this European trip. This one was built in 12th century...or at least part of it was. Another part was constructed in 16th century. The church is in honor of Judas after he converted to Christianity and changed his name. His new name was nothing like Judas and is fairly unpronounceable or spellable.


There are home and businesses inside the medieval section of the city of Provins. People live and work there regular-like. It was a bit anachronistic to see DirecTV satellite dishes on the side a timber and stucco home.

This "castle" has also been restored. They are not sure if it ever served as a residence but to know it was a prison at one time. It was well worth the 4 euros to climb all through it.  There are two large bells in the top which work and you can get right next to them. 

No comments: