Friday, July 4, 2008

I did not drown

Had my first scuba experience yesterday. Carlos at Pepe's Scuba here at Coral Princess hotel was my instructor.

He explained all the equipment. How to use the respirator and how to retrieve it when you're underwater if you lose it. Most importantly for me was how to clear water from your goggles underwater.

We did a brief go through in the swimming pool then went right into the ocean off the hotel. The water is about 20 feet deep. I had some problems getting the buoyancy vest to deflate enough to let me sink. I'm not naturally very buoyant so thought it was kind of funny.

We swam along with the current. Carlos showed me the "home" for a big squid. The squid was in there all curled up. He also showed me the biggest green eel I had ever seen. It must have been at least 4 feet long and a good 10 or 12 inches tall. It was enormous. I had snorkeled around the spot several times and had not seen it.

The experience was good. Especially since I didn't drown or have any real problems. I'm not sure if I would do it again though.

No comments: