Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tennis

Our last day in Melbourne was spent at the Australian Open.  This was Marlin's first day at the Open.  The sun was out and it was heating up.

We got into the grounds at 11:00am, the start of the day.  The doubles competition had started as the men and women's singles continued round 2.

We watched a good doubles match but were starting to get fried in the sun.  Marlin and I headed to Hisense Arena to get a drink and find some shade.  Chris was going to watch another match.  We didn't all connect until much, much later in the day.

Marin Cilic
Marlin and I walked over to the other courts and watched a great singles match against the Russian, Youzhny, and Slovakian, Kavcic.  Again the sun was just so intense that we couldn't stay for the entire match.

It would really be impossible to find Chris but I knew he was going to the Marin Cilic match in Margaret Court court 2.  Marlin and I got a bite to eat and shared some shade with a couple from Miami.

I headed to court 2 to try to find Chris....which I did!  I figured he'd find a shady spot on the baseline side and I was correct.  I joined him.  Marlin was planning on going back to the hotel.  Chris and I watched the rest of the Cilic match...which he won.

Michael Russell
Chris and I and a couple from Melbourne that Chris had befriended stayed for the next match with Michael Russell, the American we had watched beat the Aussie two days earlier.  Russell was playing 10th seed David Ferrer of Spain.  It was a very one-side match for the first two sets with Ferrer easily beating Russell.  Russell rallied in the third but was still defeated by an amazing Ferrer.

The shade made it possible to watch both matches but I was fairly wiped out and headed back to the hotel for happy hour.  A cold beer and something to eat was welcome.

The heat and all had really gotten to me and I passed out after showering.

No comments: