Monday, January 17, 2011

Morning - second day

Chris and I spent the all of Monday after my arrival at the Australian Open.  The weather was over cast and at times spit some rain.  Regardless I have a sunburned face and arms.  My plan was to buy an Open hat to cover my head.  I should have bought it earlier in the day.

Andy Roddick
The Open is in a sprawling sports complex with twenty-some outdoor courts and two arena courts with retractable roofs.  We saw Nikolai Davydenko, Russian, get defeated by F. Mayer, German in an outdoor.  Davydenko is a seated player so that was an unexpected defeat. 

We strolled (snuck) into the Hisense arena and watched Andy Roddick (USA) easily defeat whoever he played (the scacrifical lamb).  The next match in the arena was Venus Williams (USA) against a cute Italian girl, Sara Irrani.  Venus was winning easily when we left.

It had cooled down even more so I had a hot chocolate.  I purchased my hat and we went back across the street to the Hilton to get our jackets.  Then back to tennis to watch Ferdando Verdasko (Spain) toy with Reiner Scheuttler (Germany).  The crowd was crazy loud and boisterous for this match.  It was tons of fun though the umpire (head judge in the chair) was not too happy with the loud crowd but it didn't seem to bother the players.

Venus Williams
By late evening it was legitimately cold.  I was shivering.  We headed back to the hotel for a birthday drink.  The staff in the lobby lounge, Alex and Jon, were very attentive.

No comments: