Monday, May 31, 2010

A memorable Memorial Weekend

It was a busy weekend starting with Friday evening.

Marlin, Christine and Jan dropped by for beer in the backyard.  It was a hot evening but sitting out on the back patio was pleasant.

Christine, Jan and I walked over to "It's Greek To Me" restaurant to meet Kay for dinner.  Ate on their back patio which was very very pleasant.  We all walked back to my place and sat in the back yard for a bit until the mosiquitos started to eat me alive.

Saturday morning had breakfast with Marlin.  We decided to look for a new place and ended up at Glacier Cafe in the Mural Building.
The menu was limited but the food was fantastic and so was the Ethiopian coffee.
The mural is Mayan inspired and magnificent.

Following my my regular noon workout, I picked up Christine and we went to get the grill's propane tank refilled. We then went to Menards to get the lumber for the new step project in the backyard. I've wanted to make steps coming off the back of the porch and into the backyard. Picked up the stringers and lumber.

Saturday evening I started work on the steps. It was mostly just assembly because the stringers are pre-made and I got boards for the steps that were already the correct length.

But it turned out three of the seven stringers were not correct. They had been cut to a different (wrong) rise. I was too tired to return them right then.

Sunday I met Christine for coffee at Isles Bun and Coffee. Then I returned the wrong stringers and got three that were the correct size.

Martha was having a Memorial gathering at her place in North Minneapolis at noon. I was the first to arrive. It was a real family affair with Tree and Dan and their two children, Lisa and Andreas and there four children; Kelly and her son, Elliot, and her boyfriend, Fritz. Also, Brian and Becky were there and Martha's friend, Mae.

There was a wonderful spread of Greek food. I brought yogurt with blue berries and raspberries -- the red, white and blue dessert.

Martha lives a block from Victory Memorial Parkway. I didn't know that there are plaques along the parkway that are memorials to veterans who served in WW II. Marth wrote down names and ranks of several. We returned to Martha's house and she had the kids read the names of the fallen service men before we had dessert. It was very very nice.

Sunday evening I picked Christine, Jan and Allison to go downtown and see the movie "Prince of Persia." It was a lot of fun. From the movie we drove back to Uptown and stopped at Roat Oasha Thai restaurant for a nighcap. The Twins game was on and Allison is a big Twins fans. John, a neighbor of Allison, was there and we all watched the Twins beat the Texas Rangers.

Monday I finihsed the step project.

Monday evening Kelly and Fritz threw their annual Memorial Day rib cookout. Marlin and Martha came over to my place. I wanted to be sure that Martha got to see the Miss America peony before it was over.

Got to meet with Kelly and Fritz's friends most of which I had met last year. It is always fantastic food and fun. I made rhubarb cake.

The whole three-day weekend was fun and fulfilling.

No comments: