Friday, May 28, 2010

Made it home but not without more travel drama

The flight to San Francisco was delayed by about 45 minutes.  I didn't get upgraded but at least I didn't have a middle seat.

When I got to the hotel...a new one for me...it turned out I had messed up my reservation.  I had reserved a room for the previous night!  I'm going to blame it on our company travel website but obviously I need to triple check myself.

The hotel clerk was very nice and simply moved my reservation to that night AND upgraded me to a suite.  The hotel was the Westin Saint Francis on Union Square.  An extremely beautiful old hotel.  Unfortunately when I arrive in San Francisco it is late and I have to get up early for work so I don't do anything.  I'm lame.

My revised flying schedule on Thursday was to catch the 4:20pm flight to Dallas.  Early in the day I got a text to let me know the flight was already delayed.  As the day went on, I got more text messages letting me know the flight was more and more delayed until finally at about 1:30 it was canceled!  No big surprise to be honest.

I called American. Thank goodness I'm Executive Platinum because they generally answer very quickly and are extremely, extremely helpful.  Turned out all the flights to Dallas were delayed by hours.  So I got put on the 2:20 flight which was now scheduled to depart at 4:10.  There was an outside chance I could get to the airport in time.

My co-workers flight was also delayed and I was getting a ride from them.  They dropped me off at the terminal at about 3:50.  Meanwhile I'd gotten another text that my new flight was now delayed to 4:20pm.  All I had to do was get my boarding ticket and get through security.  This was not a done deal.

The auto-checkin would not accept me.  I had to go to an attendant.  The gentlemen in the first class line graciously let me jump ahead.  I got the seat assignment from the clerk with a "good luck" from her and the guys in line.

Zipped through security and dashed down the terminal.  Boarding had started but being Priority Access I jumped to the head of the line.  The plane was a 757 and was going to be full.  I had been assigned a middle seat but my row mates wanted to seat together and gave me the window.

We landed in Dallas about 10pm.  I had to reserve a hotel and car for the night.  I was staying at a hotel close to the airport because it was cheap and convenient.  I thought it was one I had stayed at before and knew where it was.  I couldn't find it.  I called....they didn't answer until about the tenth time.  Turns out I was not at the hotel I thought but a different one of the same brand.  It wasn't very far but could more have gone wrong with this week's travels?!

No comments: