Monday, September 28, 2015

Powder room update

Big changes this past week. I told my contractor that I wanted a usable bathroom by Sunday for Apple Fest. That meant getting the toilet and sink installed and functioning. To accomplish this the walls needed to be drywalled ,painted and the electrical finished.

The carpenter came on Monday to install the drywall and the first coat of mud. I picked up the light fixture that I had ordered.

Though the room is small it still has four corners and four walls. It is tricky to maneuver inside the small space so mudding the drywall was not an easy task. Dave finished the first coat on Monday. When he arrived Tuesday morning, the mud was still not completely dry. We put a fan on it and he came back in the afternoon to do the final coat.

I kept a fan on it all night. Dave came back Wednesday and gave the go ahead for priming...that was my job. I got the priming done by late morning. It took longer than I thought because again it is just so tricky maneuvering in the small space. The ceiling is 9 feet so a little later is necessary.

Dave came back to do a little touch up and then I painted. All this to be ready for Thursday morning electrician and plumber.

The electrician arrived early Thursday and installed the light fixture, outlet and dimmer for the light. The plumber arrived later in the morning. The in-wall tank and floating toilet were new fixtures for the plumber. But he was able to figure it out with the provided instructions.

The plumber also installed the sink and faucet. He picked up on my comment on the plastic pipe and went out to get a metal p-trap and drain. I really appreciated his attention to this. There is not going to be a vanity of any kind so the pipes are exposed. The metal looks so much better.

So everything needed to make the room function as a bathroom was completed on Thursday. I was able to paint the radiator after the plumber was finished.

Now just waiting for the flooring to come in. The floor is a vinyl floating floor material and special order from Home Depot. Once the floor is in, the carpenter will come back to re-install the door molding and install new baseboard. There are a couple of touch-ups needed from the plumber's work.

It is impossible to get decent photo of the powder room because it is so small.

Toilet wall drywalled.
TaDa! Walls painted, toilet and sink installed, and electrical done.

The fantastic light fixture.

No comments: