Sunday, October 4, 2015

Powder room update

Coming close to finishing the powder room project. Now that the mechanical elements are in, decorating was done.

With the round edges of the toilet and the sink, I chose the round buttons for the flush mechanism.That decision lead to more round or rounded elements.

I found the round mirror on Amazon.com. It is actually a charger plate. The facets around the edge also tie into the crystal chandelier.

The corner shelving unit came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. The outside edge of the shelves is rounded. I decided to hang the piece so that it can serve as a towel rack and hold the soap dispenser at sink level.
The other big update is the floor. This is a vinyl floating floor product made to look like cork. It is waterproof and comfortable under bare feet.

It wasn't too difficult to install if I could only remember which end to cut. It cuts with an Exacto blade and snaps so that part is easy. Getting around the door jam was a pain. But many thanks to JT for loaning me his electric saw tool that trims molding for the flooring which is taller than the original floor.

The other new piece is the wall treatment for the radiator wall under the window. Painting behind the radiator is not really possible and the plaster is not in great condition. I found another flooring product that kind of looks like stone. It was easy to install though I have to find another way to get it to stick to the wall.

Remaining tasks are to have the baseboards installed (I stained them) and have the door trim put back up.

The other piece is to find or make art for the blank wall above the toilet. I have an idea just have to figure it out exactly.

No comments: