Monday, September 14, 2015

Spring Green

My trip actually started before even leaving Minneapolis. I went to Isles for a quick coffee. I was about to leave when I noticed a woman who had just walked in. She looked a lot like an actress I knew from my Guthrie Theatre days. I said 'Brenda Wehle?'. It was indeed her. We spent a few minutes catching up before I left to pick up Rose.
Bernstad's desserts

Rose and I picked up Dave in St. Paul, had coffee and were on our way. We made the traditional stops at the Wisconsin rest stop and Bernstad's in Tomah. Only Bernstad's is not the same. The restaurant is still there with the rotating desserts but the rest of the retail space is empty or being emptied. The grocery store is now a Gordy's.

We made it to the Spring Valley Inn, our favorite place to stay in Spring Green, Wisconsin. Megan and Michael were driving from Iowa City but we did not expect to see them for dinner. Rose, Dave and I each had the fish dinner. A lightly battered pan fried walleye prepared by Cole Rasmussen. It was fantastic. We were about to get up from dinner when Megan and Michael walked in.

Saturday was relaxing and on your own time. Rose went swimming in the pool. I went for a run. Megan and Michael joined up with Rose. Dave slept in.

We all went into Spring Green for a late breakfast and some shopping. Back at the hotel I rested, Rose read, the Petkewecs watched a movie for their movie club meeting, Dave went to Peck's.

APT oicnic
Saturday evening we picnicked before our show in the indoor theater at American Players Theatre . This was our first indoor performance. The space is wonderful and the building is creatively set in the woods. We saw Edward Albee's Seascape.

After the show and back at the Spring Valley Inn, we made s'mores and made new friends at the bonfire.

Sunday meant breakfast at The Shed and then home. It was a great trip. It was nice to be more relaxed.

Michael and Megan at the picnic
Tending the fire

No comments: