Friday, December 9, 2011

7' 400lb gorilla

The equipment for the Delta flight home on Thursdays is an Airbus A319.  I'd never heard of an 'A319' but that's what Delta calls it.  In coach the seats are 3 x 3 -- 3 on each side with center aisle.

I always try to get an aisle seat.  That way I can go to the bathroom easily during the flight if needed.  And when landed, can stand up right away. 

I am just a hair over 6' and weigh only 185 these days but on this A319 the seat size and/or configuration makes me feel like I am the 7' 400 lb gorilla.  With my feet flat on the floor I cannot lower the seat tray to level.  It rests on the top of my thighs.  My shoulders and legs are always intruding on the center seat person.  And the refreshment cart always hits my shoulder even when I squish in.

The outbound flight from Minneapolis is on a regional size Embraer 175.  It is a 2 x 2 in coach.  But there is more room and comfort on this type of plane than the bigger A319. 

No comments: