Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fireplace Hearth Replacement Project

Not to give it away but I ordered a gas fireplace insert. A couple of years ago I had my fireplace cleaned and inspected. The gentleman who cleaned it said that the firebox itself was not safe to burn a wood fire in.

He then gave me an estimate for a $5,000 repair! Since he marked on the cleaning/inspection form that a fire was not recommended, I thought it best not to have a wood fire. But $5,000 to repair the firebox tuck pointing was awfully high for something I only use very occasionally.

But I like having a fireplace and it is the living room focal point. So I've ordered a gas fireplace insert with remote control..hehehe. Ya'll know how much I like remote control.

The fireplace hearth has been cracked since I moved in. It is made of small red brick like tiles. I took the following picture after I already started demolition but you can see the tiles.

The new hearth design is taken from the kitchen backsplash. The backsplash tiles were no longer available but very similar ones were. However, there were no green tiles which were my planned dash of color.

Turns out I had three spare green tiles from the kitchen project which I was able to use. I also still had tile adhesive and grout available. The new hearth only took three days to complete and I think it looks fantastic.

No comments: