Sunday, February 14, 2010

2010 Ford Taurus

Rented from National again.  This time I kind of "shopped" for a vehicle.  National lets you choose your car unlike Hertz that assigns one to you.  I wanted something new or different. 

Saw a new Mazda3.  The trunk wasn't open so I got the key.  No key remote operation so rejected.  Saw a Volkswagen Beettle which I've had before and wasn't really interested in.  Then saw a new Ford Taurus parked in the Premium lane.  Figured I'd take it and see if they said anything.

I saw a bunch of these new Taurus's when I was in Bentonville.  The new model has a masculine, angular design.  You can tell a Ford when you in one.  The driver and passenger seating is cockpit-like with the high center console and substantial door trim.  GM's are generally more open and airy inside.

The new Ford Taurus is very fun to drive.  Dallas had the biggest snow storm ever on Thursday.  A co-worker and I went out for lunch and the Taurus had not problem with the snow and slush.

Some techno-features are indoor ambient lighting that is not only adjustable in intensity but also color -- 2 shades of blue, orange, red and green.  There is also a back camera which in itself is getting more standard but the display is actually in the rear view mirror.  It takes a bit to get used to the rear view image because I'm so used to using all the mirrors.  There is also proximity alarms when backing up.

The nicest feature is the simpliest.  The windshield wiper control simply requires turning the signal stem.  Intermittent is the first few turns and just keep turning to get continuous swipe and fast swipe.  Simply and intuitive.

The indoor trunk button is over on the passenger side which is kind of odd but at least there is an interior release.  The gear shift is in the center console and too close to the dash and cup holders.  In Park the shifter is too close to the dash.  In Drive it is tricky to use the cup holder.

Overall this is a great vehicle.  I was the first person to drive it.  There were only 5.1 miles on the odometer.  The fuel filler is a new design that doesn't require a cap.  The "Check Fuel Filler" info came on.  I opened the gas hatch door and accidently removed what ever the funnel thing is that fits outside the filler pipe.  I could not get it back on.  I'm thinking this design might need more work.

No comments: