Monday, August 17, 2009

Quick trip to Petoskey, Michigan

Last Saturday, caught the 6am flight to Chicago for connecting flight to Traverse City, Michigan. All went smoothly. The Traverse City airport is called the Cherry Capital airport.

Rented a great Ford Focus to make the 1 hour 15 minute drive to Petoskey along Lake Michigan. Lots of cherries for sale along the road. Passed cherry and apple orchards, raspberries, sun flowers and beautiful views of the lake.

My friend Kathy Bardins and her family moved to Petoskey a view years ago. Kathy continues to do event management and was working the Petoskey Festival By The Bay, a music festival right next to Lake Michigan in northern Michigan.

I arrived about 1:30pm and met her at her house which has an incredible view of the town and the bay. We drove down to the festival and wandered around while she checked in with vendors and volunteers.

Kathy is new grandma. Her grandson was born in January. He is a cutie and always happy. Kathy, her daughter Sarah and the baby, Declan, and I attended the evening's music of jazz and blues. We sat out on a blanket on a little hill. It was so nice.

I took Sarah and Declan home and returned to the Festival for the night's rock and roll band. Lots of people and a decent band. I helped Kathy and the volunteers to break down the tables and move the chairs for Sunday morning's multi-denomenational church service.

I was tired and slept pretty well Saturday night. We had breakfast at the house on Sunday morning. I headed back to Traverse City at 11am. My flight left on time but an unexpected storm hit Chicago O'Hare and our flight was diverted to Milwaukee.

The pilot announced that we wouldn't know for an hour what our status was going to be. I called American Airlines and had them book me on a flight from Milwaukee to Minneapolis. I thought my chances of getting home would be better if I didn't go to Chicago. The agent got me on a 5:55pm flight so I hung out at the Milwaukee airport for about 4 hours.

I made it home about 7:30pm. My patio umbrella is barely hanging on...the squirrels have destroyed even more of it!

2 comments:

bunny said...

i guess you'll have to research squirrel-resistant umbrellas for next summer!

jaalspa said...

Here is something I could try. Either of these wouldn't stain the umbrella fabric.
To keep squirrels away from buildings, use rags soaked in ammonia or socks filled with mothballs.