Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Folks along my route

There are many people I see and interact with on my route from Minneapolis to Dallas every week. The Monday route is such a routine. I know some names but not all.

Ms. Wong is the TSA boarding pass and identification checker. It is unusual to get the same person at the same time but Ms. Wong and I have quite the patter going. She apparently knows another Alspaugh in Indiana or Ohio.

There's the gals at the Caribou coffee in terminal E. This group changes up every few weeks but I always stop to get my morning coffee. On Mondays you can get a medium Caribou blend for only $1.

My flight to Dallas wouldn't start off right without Tom at the American gate...usually E14 or E16. Tom will almost always give me free upgrade to first class if there's room. He deals with all kinds of issues at the gate and runs a tight ship.

The flight attendants are always changing but I usually at least recognize some from previous flights. Rachel (aka Shelly) and I go way back and I'm always on the lookout for her.

Don't interact with anyone really when picking up rental car. Hertz and National just let you go directly to the vehicle. The people in the checkout kiosks are difficult to see and talk with because the whole thing is to move you through as fast as possible.

I go to a GNC in Irving to pickup protein drinks for the week. Darryl is always there on Monday. We chat about the weather mostly and he always greets me with big "hello."

Then over to Quiznos. I get a chicken salad there since I started cutting back on carbs for my contest. The three workers at Quiznos are so pleasant. Each one says "hello" and the proprieter greets the regulars so warmly. I can tell I'm not the only one who likes to go to this Quiznos.

It is real nice to see and be greeted by the same people each week. It helps with the travel and being away from home.

No comments: