Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Jogging and Nature

I went jogging last night. Okay, don't laugh. I actually did go jogging even though someone walking would probably have easily passed me. All this travel has lead to some bad eating habits and I haven't been going to the gym on a regular basis (read - not at all when I'm home).

There is a state forest next to the hotel that has a trail. I was hoping to see some nature. Ya'll know how much I likes me nature.

First there was a bunny in the middle of the trail. Then I saw a red-tailed squirrel off to the side. I'm thinking this is prime deer country and BAM! There's a whole herd of them. Probably ten or so. Some on the trail. Others just off in the woods. There is a stream and some are there. A doe with a fawn and four or more bucks with antlers. The antlers still have their fur on them.

The deer pretty much just watched me like I watched them. I was easily within 15 or 20 feet of one or two. It was so cool. They are really beautiful.

As I continued jogging down the path I ran into several other smaller groups of deer. The trail ends up next to the Des Plaines river. At one point it opens onto a field of Queen Anne's Lace. Mostly the trail is in the woods which have these incredible oak trees.

I was so glad I went.

No comments: