Saturday, August 25, 2007

Minneapolis construction/deconstruction tour

A couple of weeks ago I hopped on my bike to take a construction/deconstruction tour.

First I went to the former site of the Guthrie Theater. A building I worked in for seven years and was the reason I came to Minnesota in the first place back in 1987. Here is what it looks like now.


As you can see. It is gone. For those of you that have been here. This picture was taken from across the street on the sculpture garden side. What you would have seen was a wall of glass that was the lobby.
Here is a picture with the remaining part of the Walker Art Museum. There is actually an underground parking lot in there.



I then went down to see the site of the new Twins baseball stadium. It is going to be right downtown next to the Target Center. I know the site and couldn't figure out in my head how it was going to fit in such a small space.

You can make out the baseball diamond they have draw on the existing parking lot. Home plate is just above the trailer on the left.
You can see there is a road bridge in left outfield. I'm standing on another road bridge taking this picture and talking to a hobo about how he doesn't think it is going to fit either. Center and right outfield is bordered by another street.
I think it is going to be awfully small.

I then rode my bike to the Mississippi River to see the collapsed I-35W bridge. I couldn't get very close. There were a lot of people down at the river looking. I think it was good that you couldn't get close. They were still looking for victims then and that should be done without people taking pictures.

The new Guthrie is down by the river and close to the bridge collapse. I took a picture but it was too bright and didn't come out.

I rode down the Mississippi River bike path where there are great views of the city and the river. The new Greenway Bike Path is completed to the river and goes practically right by my house. It is a beautifully constructed bike way. Safe, wide and comfortable. Midtown Greenway map

No comments: