Friday, July 27, 2007

Ford Fusion

I've been hoping to get a Ford Fusion rental car and finally did this week. I think it was a base model because there weren't too many bells and whistles.

I really like the look of the car. First thing I noticed is how comfortable the driver's seat is and it sits fairly high which I like. The instrument panel is well configured with the steering wheel so you can see all the gauges. It is surprising how many cars don't have the steering wheel and gauges lined up right.

The climate controls are way too low. They are below the radio which is kind of low. The climate controls end up at the same height as the gear selector and so are not easy to get to. There was a pretty bad rattle in the dashboard. I think it had something to do with the storage compartment on top of the dash.

For some reason in Dallas they don't grade the road surface before putting it down. They just put the road on the contour of the land so there are all kinds of bumps and humps and curves and dips. It can be kind of fun to drive but anything loose in the car shakes, rattles and rolls.

The transmission is not as smooth as the General Motors ones I have had recently. The car is fun to drive but I think the weak point is the transmission. The sound proofing is excellent though. I was trapped between two semi-trailers and did not have that level of noise I thought there would be.

Result is a mild recommend.

No comments: