Monday, February 12, 2007

British Library

The British Library is a modern building that has exhibitions of important documents and texts.

Saw a copy of the Magna Carta. Turns out there is no original version anymore. Probably destroyed in a fire plus copies were made anyway to give to the various parties involved.

There was an early translation of Beowolf. Also, an original folio of Shakespeare plays. Music from various famous composers and original 45s of the Beattles. There were also beautiful bibles and bindings of books.

There is a special exhibit of maps of London. Very very interesting and I ran out of time as the Library closes at 5pm.

Here I am in the plaza in front of the Library. Behind me is Saint Pancras rail station. It is undergoing an extensive renovation and is not open. It is a beautiful building.

How many chins to I have?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you found the Wallace Collection (my personal favorite) and the Library. I remember standing over manuscripts for what felt like an hour with my mouth hanging open - wicked cool. The new digs sound fab - it's got to be nice to have a home and not just a hotel room. I don't know if I would want someone washing my underwear for me. We have finally thawed out here - a few degrees above zero F and we feel like spring is on the way. I just read the whole blog in one fell swoop - keep it up. I'm living vicariously. Well, ciao for now! or should I say: CHEERS!!!