Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Door Number 4

The fourth home improvement project involving a door. This one is my backdoor from kitchen to the back yard.

This is another project that has been long in the making. I bought the replacement door many years ago. I wanted a panel door that matched the style of the house and a larger window to let more natural light in the kitchen.

The photo to the left is the final stained and polyurethaned door from the kitchen side.

The staining came out kind of blotchy and removing all the old layers of paint kind of beat up the door. But overall I am very happy with the end results.
Here is the previous door with the hardware removed. This door would not have been original to the house.
The replacement door with some of the layers of paint removed. The door was painted on both sides. Also it was hinged to open in a different direction than needed.

I succeeded in switching the hinges and the door knob mechanism.
You can see a hint of all the paint layers. There was a pink, a green, a white and a beige paint. I used the heat gun technique to remove most of the paint.

No comments: