Friday, October 13, 2017

Door Knobs and Mechanisms

Apparently brass door mechanisms last a bit over 100 years. Several months ago the door mechanism to my bedroom closet exploded. There were several pieces inside and out that fell apart.

And just a couple of weeks ago the inside front door made a snapping sound and would only work being turned one way. I took the mechanism apart to find the latch in two pieces (see photo).

I found the same mechanism at the ReUse Store in south east Minneapolis. The inside was a bit rusty so I decided to use the part that I needed to replace in the house's door mechanism. I put it all back together and it works great.











Having installed a new deadbolt on the garage door and the backdoor and matching the keys, I wanted the front door to join in the fun so bought a new deadbolt with a changeable key system. I figured it would not be a simple swap with the existing deadbolt....and it wasn't.

The opening on the inside of the door was not quite big enough so I had to enlarge that. And the new bolt was longer and operated differently than the existing bolt so I had to bore out the opening for more room.



All the tools it took for the door mechanism, deadbolt and door latch.
While I was at it, I decided I really wanted the front door to latch. I cannot remember when or if it ever did. This was so much more work than it should have been. I don't understand how the latch could be so far off from the catch but it was almost 1/2 inch difference.

It took a crazy number of tools to get all three projects done. A short list: screw driver(s), WD40, rubber gloves, paper towels, drill, 1/2 drill bit, vacuum, utility knife, tape, scissors, head lamp, stapler, chisel.

No comments: