Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Never Tire of the Peonies

I was very fortunate that when I bought my house nearly 25 years ago there were several peony plants. I was not familiar with this beautiful flowering perennial. I don't recall having these or even seeing them when I was growing up.
I learned that the plants do not like to be moved. They will hold off blooming for a year or more once they have been disturbed.

The aroma from the largest plant will often fill the entire backyard. The plants I have now have been in there current locations for well over a decade.
The house came with five different varieties. The dark red is the most prevalent but I also had a white Japanese variety, two different pink ones and a white and pink one. My friends bought another white variety, Miss America, that has been featured separately.

No comments: