Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas with Mom

Mom came for Christmas this year. I was so happy she decided to spend Christmas in Minneapolis. She has been here before for the holidays so she knows of Martha's Polish Christmas Eve gathering.

We have had a very cold December with just enough snow. Mom arrived on Saturday and that evening we went to 'Sisters of Swing' at the Minnesota History Theater. We met Amy, Loretta, Kathy, JT and Linda there. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the show. It is about the Andrews Sisters who were born on Minnesota.

Sunday we met Amy, Loretta and Bunny at Old Chicago in Plymouth to watch the Vikings game. Monday I worked from home and we cooked. We made meatless chili and apple cake. Monday was a particularly cold day so mom didn't go out.

Tuesday morning we baked Christmas cookies. We made the light and dark dough recipes that I had gotten from her. These make a lot of cookies. We set up an assembly line to get them all done. Tuesday evening was Christmas Eve at Martha's. I won't go into the details. We had a wonderful time with great food, great friends and great laughs.

live tree from Lea and Tim
Wednesday, Christmas day, we made an apple pie with frozen apples from my apple tree. And we made eye of round, dinner rolls, celery and carrots and heated up the meatless chili... for dinner with Rose and Roxie. We all watched sappy Hallmark Channel movies. It was a great Christmas. I was exhausted.

Thursday I worked from home again. I did get mom to take a little walk to my barbershop. The sidewalks were well shoveled and it wasn't too cold. I think she was glad to get out for a bit. In the evening we went to the movies. We saw 'The Secret Life of Walter Middy'. I enjoyed it tremendously. We had dinner at the movie house.

Friday, mom returned to Virginia.

No comments: