Thursday, June 10, 2010

Something different

I think it was about a year ago I got to attend a training class in Miami.  This week I'm attending a different training workshop in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Flew in Tuesday night.  The instructions were very clear that we are not to rent cars for this workshop.  It cost $45 to get from the airport to the hotel.  And yesterday it cost $20 to get from the recommended hotel to the office.  I did meet up with another co-worker who shared my cab.  He knew someone at the office and we got a ride back to hotel with him.  If we had not hooked up with someone with a care, the overall expense would have greatly exceeded renting.

The hotel gym is not much so I asked if they had an affiliation with a local gym.  They gave me the name and address of a LifeStyle Family Gym.  I asked if I could walk.  The hotel employee questioned it but figured it was doable.  She couldn't find a map so drew one.  It was not clear.  She then found a driving map and tried to explain a way to walk.

I headed out falling the directions.  It was not at all a way to walk.  There are not sidewalks.  It was probably a good 2 miles away and at least one major intersection with ramps. 

I decided that was not worth the risk.  On my way back to another gym I passed I found an old graveyard. All the gravestones were identical and perfectly aligned even though the people had passed away from the mid 1930s to 1950.  It was in a grove of trees next to a new shopping center.  It was interestingly odd.

No comments: