Friday, June 25, 2010

Guess what people. It is not about you!

I got so ticked off last night.

The flight from Dallas to Minneapolis was late. No surprise there. The incoming flight was late and there were lots of elderly and wheelchair passengers so unboarding took a while.

That all was actually very humorous and a different story.

As boarding started, it began to rain....a lot. Then it started to lightening and thunder. Lightening means all ground employees have to get off the tarmac. That means we aren't going anywhere.

The elderly man seated by the window who otherwise seemed quite nice, started to complain that a little lightening shouldn't stop us from flying. I told him we weren't flying and that the workers were surrounded by many large METAL airplanes. For their safety they were not out and about.

He didn't care. He was a fighter pilot way back when and they flew through storms all the time. The fact that we were currently not flying didn't seem to make a difference. But, folks, lets have some concern for other people's safety and not our desire to fly.

The next thing that happened was while the lead flight attendant was doing her safety announcements....turn off electronics, seats upright, tray tables, etc.

Occasionally the pilot switches off the speakers while the attendant is doing the announcement. That happened and she wasn't aware. I shouted out to her that she could not be heard. The gals in the front row grumbled that I should keep my mouth shut so that we could take off.

We hadn't even left the gate yet and I felt it was more important to have the safety announcements heard than these two ladies got in the air 15 seconds sooner. I continued to tell the flight attendant of the situation. She thanked me.

Just so you know flyers, I have to fly every week and I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

No comments: