Monday, September 7, 2009

Backyard project

I may be totally in over my head or this is the most exhausting project ever.

I rented a jack hammer Saturday morning to bust up the sidewalk. It took less than an hour but it was loud and some of the sections were 6 inches thick. Took a boat load of effort to break into pieces.

Here is the pile o' concrete.

In the process of getting rid of all the grass, I kept running into more and more of the maple tree roots.

I snapped my shovel handle in the process of prying out a root. To be honest this shovel was one I bought with my house back in 1991 and who knows how old it really is.

I bought a new handle and with the help of my Dremel machine removed the old handle part and got the new handle in. Not nearly as easy as the internet site made it sound.

By the end of the holiday weekend I had another big pile of roots.

Friends, Andrea and Jason, bought a house with a yard full of all kinds of stone. Huge pieces of slate, tons of river rock, boulders and lots of shale.

I had sights on the shale. One truck load on Sunday and another trip on Monday.

Picture 1 is the start of the layout.


The following two are the end of the weekend. I felt like I'd put down tons and tons but only ended up with this much. It looks good but there is a lot lot lot to do.


No comments: