Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ford Escape vs. Toyota RAV4

Special vehicle review. While I was in Virginia I had a 2008 Ford Escape rental. Last week in Dallas I had a Toyota RAV4. Both vehicles I think are considered in the same class.

I think the biggest difference is the Ford feels like it is based on a truck while the Toyota feels more like it is car-based. To be honest and I think everyone knows, I own a Ford Escape. Mine is a 2006 model and hybrid.

My rental Escape was a v6. And it was/is NICE. Very comfortable to drive and ride. Carried 4 adults easily. The interior is different from mine. All the controls are easy to reach and understandable.

I point out the controls in the Escape because in the Toyota RAV4 the button placement didn't really make sense. It took me more than five minutes to find the control to adjust the side mirrors. Of all places it is in the center console between the driver and passenger seats. The radio controls in the Toyota are kind of far away even though the dash bulges in the middle.

The Toyota was a four cylinder and does not compare favorably to the Escape v6. The Toyota downshifts way too much and way too jarringly. It did carry five adult men though to lunch...give it credit for that.

While I am obviously biased toward the Ford Escape, it really is a nicer vehicle. Roomier inside and good looking on the outside.

No comments: