Saturday, June 30, 2007

Alspaugh, North Carolina

Years ago I had noticed on a road map that there is an Alspaugh, North Carolina. I used MapQuest and GoogleMaps to locate it. It is a suburb of Winston Salem and I drove over there on Wednesday.

It was getting dark by the time I got there. It doesn't stay light in North Carolina as late as it does in Minnesota. The spot on both maps is just an intersection of two streets - Polo Road and Indiana Avenue. There isn't any "Welcome to Alspaugh, North Carolina" sign.

But right before that intersection is Alspaugh Drive. So, of course, I took a drive down Alspaugh Drive. Along Alspaugh Drive is Alspaugh Circle! I had to kind of park the car in the middle of the road to get the headlights to shine on the signs.

Alspaugh Drive is about as long as Alspaugh Dam Road. It is definitely a suburb and is lined with homes.

Now I have to find out which Alspaugh these roads are named for. Anyone got any ideas?

No comments: