Sunday, October 2, 2011

Buick Enclave

Now that I'm back to traveling, I'll be doing my vehicle reviews again.  Hopefully since it has been a while, there will be some new models to drive.

When the shuttle pulled into the rental lot, there was the Buick Enclave right at the end.  I don't recall having had this vehicle before.  I was too anxious because I didn't realize until I got to the office that the key did not have a fob.

Not having a fob breaks one of my cardinal renting rules but it was too late.  It drove me crazy for the rest of the week.

The Enclave is a big vehicle.  It sits fairly tall and is quite wide...deceptively so.  It is actually kind of tricky to park because it is so wide. 

I am a rearview mirror user. The Enclave has a backup camera.  The display is in the rearview mirror.  The display is seamlessly integrated and is quite large..like half the mirror.  I actually found the size to be distracting. Probably once you've used it for a while, the camera and its display would be helpfull. Better get used to it because I think the backup camera and display are going to be standard.

The Enclave does not get very good gas mileage but I don't think that is why people buy one.  You definitely feel safe in this one. 

But there is a design flaw..a small but iritating one.  It was a stormy rainy week in Charlotte so the wipers were important.  I could not for the life of me find the control for the rear wiper.  Being a crossover, the back glas gets roadspray so the rear wiper is very important.  Granted I should have researched the control loacation when I first got the car but I didn't.

It wasn't until the next day in daylight that I finally found the switch. The flaw is that the control is hidden by the shifter.  Even when you know where it is, the control is difficult to use.

Overall the Enclave is a very nice vehicle. I don't think I'd want one though.

No comments: