Monday, January 23, 2012

A snowy departure

An early morning freezing mist made the drive from home to the airport a nervous 20 minutes.  The airport was not crowded and by the time I walked to the gate, the weather had switched to snow and was coming down fairly heavy.

The plane had to be de-iced but not at the gate. I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I saw was the de-icing machine and we were very far from the terminal. When we started to head to the runway, I noticed the snow plows.

The snow plows were performing a well-choreographed dance to clear the runway of snow and ice. It was fascinating.  The pilot informed us the airport had closed for a short time while the runways were cleared.

Our takeoff was an hour late but I had missed most of it apparently. Charlotte was very foggy and misty not unlike Minneapolis except there wasn't any freezing.

No comments: