Sunday, December 10, 2023

Cozumel 2023

School of fish in blue water
This might be my favorite photo.
These are just very common Bermuda Chub
but the photo composition of color and light
represents the feel of being there.
One of these days I'm going to start editing the photos and writing the blog during vacation so that it doesn't come out so much later than the actual event. One of the good things about being slow to putting this together is that I get to revisit the fun and beauty all over again while working on the story.

The video is long this year. Jenny and I are getting better at taking the underwater photos and this year there were so many things to photograph. But I get ahead of myself.

There were more guests this year for the week after Thanksgiving. Jenny B., JT, Ellen, and Dave M. joined me. Jenny stayed another few days of the second week before I finished out the second week by myself.

It was more humid this year than I remember this time of year. For those that don't know, I have a timeshare at Coral Princess on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. Coral Princess has been around for a long, long time. The accommodations are not top-of-the-line but I enjoy it. There is a kitchen, living room, massive bedroom and stunning balcony. Dave had his own room and JT and Ellen their own suite.

But the best part is the Coral Princess staff. The same staff have been here for years, and they always treat me and my guests with such care. There is so much laughter.


The snorkeling this year was amazing. Even though I've been going to Cozumel for years, I still see things that are new to me. This year we saw Southern Sting Ray, Scorpion Fish, Porcupine Puffer Fish, and Jenny saw an Octopus! The water was crazy clear though a few days there were tiny jellyfish that gave little stings.

On land we saw and interacted with Mapachi, a small raccoon.

We went to our usual restaurants - Pancho's Backyard, The Mission, Guido's, and, of course, Casa Dennis. We also did more "homecooking" which made it feel even more comfy cozy.

It kind of goes without saying, but I look forward to this trip every year. It is a good way to hang on to summer before diving into a Minnesota winter. It is also a great way to spend time with friends.

Click here to watch the video. It is 8 minutes long (there were LOTS of fish 😊) and best viewed in landscape.

No comments: