Monday, September 19, 2022

Home Decor - backsplash

 I've had this idea to use one of my Cozumel underwater photos somewhere. The photos often look abstract but on closer viewing, the details of fish or coral appear.

Sink side completed.

I have used a www.wallmonkeys.com wall decal before so I decided I would make my kitchen backsplash an underwater photo wall decal.

I cannot recommend www.wallmonkeys.com enough. Their work is fantastic and not as expensive as you might think.

I submitted my photo on their website with the request to have the largest wall photo decal which is 72" wide. I requested a proof and also the final dimensions. The final height meant I needed only one decal that I would cut to fit both the sink and stove walls.

They responded in just a few days. I approved the proof and received the decal in a couple of days.

Template in place waiting for
outlets and switches to be cut in.
At friends' suggestion, I made templates for the walls. With the cabinets, outlets and switches at various places along the walls, the templates were invaluable.

It was a leap of faith to cut the photo decal into the sections needed. The sink side is actually wider than 72" so I had to add 3" sections to each side. Because the photo is somewhat abstract, you cannot really see the add-ons.

The wall behind the stove is exactly 72" so you couldn't ask for more. Getting the decal behind the stove and under the microwave was very tricky but because the decal is removable, it can be positioned multiple times.

The decal is also a vinyl material so is waterproof and washable. Previously, the walls were just painted.

The finished project.
I love the outcome. And it looks particularly special with the under cabinet lights on.

This is the photo wall decal in full.



No comments: