Thursday, August 29, 2019

Saved some money

I am not an auto repair guy but I figured replacing a broken side mirror couldn't be too bad. The Ford dealer was going to charge $310.00 just for the part plus I don't know how much for the labor. But the worst part was I couldn't get it fixed for almost a month.

I backed into a column in the parking ramp at work. Tore off the driver side mirror unit. It is heated and motorized.

Thanks to the internet I found an auto parts shop in St. Paul and multiple YouTube videos on the steps to replace the unit.

The used part was $110.00 and it took less than 1/2 hour to complete!

It isn't perfect. There are some scratches on the black cover and turns out the motor doesn't adjust up and down. But it adjusts in and out and the mirror moves manually up and down. Best of all it isn't going to fall off or flop around.

Before - mirror cracked up

Before - bungees holding it in place

After - it isn't in primo condition with some scratches

After - nice mirror


No comments: