Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving sweet potato tots

When I was in Wisconsin this past September, the Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horub had these wonderful sweet potato tots.  Like regular potato tots but made with sweet potatos.  I thought that would make a great Thanksgiving dish.  So I set out to create my own.  Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 medium sized yams (I used red garnets) that came to about 4 cups shredded.
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/8 - 1/4 cup brown sugar (I wasn't so precise about this)
1 cup mini-marshallows

Stir all the above together to mix well.
Microwave 2 minutes to melt the mini-marshallows.  stir half way through
Allow to cool.

Now the difficult part.  Form balls of the shredded yam mix with your had and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze as much of the liquid out as you possibly can.  Set carefully into 375 degree oil.  I used a canola oil.  Deep fry for about 1 1/2 minutes until brown.  Allow to dry on paper towel. Makes 15 - 20 tots.

These are labor intensive but really really good.
shredded yams
mixed with mini-marshallows
the tots
I would like to figure out how to make them a bit smaller.  Or possibly keep the size and come up with different dips.

1 comment:

Corky said...

I just have to warn everybody about marshmallows/sweet potatoes. Don't put your pan in the oven (broiler no less) then try to talk to your wonderful sister-in-law (yes, Linda) and 5 minutes later when your smoke alarm goes off wonder why. Check the oven cuz the marshmallows are ON FIRE!!!!!